We love to laugh at 'The Book of Mormon.' What if it was 'The Book of Koran?
a425couple
2018-04-26 13:16:35 UTC
We love to laugh at 'The Book of Mormon.' What if it was 'The Book of
Koran?': Guest opinion
Updated Apr 19; Posted Apr 18
The Book of Mormon.

By Guest Columnist
By Allen Alley

I had the opportunity to attend the musical, "The Book of Mormon" in
Portland. On the surface, it was one of the most dynamic, entertaining,
hilarious, magnificently well-performed productions I have ever seen.
Watching the show, I joined the rest of a packed house and laughed,
cheered, applauded and even choked back a tear at times.

As the show progressed, and the cheers and applause grew louder with
every scene, I began to reflect more on what I was experiencing. I'm not
Mormon, but my family tree has extremely diverse ethnic and religious
roots spanning just about every major religion from Catholic and
Protestant to Muslim, Jewish, Buddhist and Bahai. This diversity in my
close family has made me inherently curious about, and generally
accepting of, people who don't share my ideas and philosophy.

I have known and worked with many Mormons. They are some of the most
kind, caring, honest and community-minded people I have known. In
politics, the Church of the Latter Day Saints members are beacons of
integrity, honesty and grace -- something that I find sorely missing in
politics today. An example of their grace was on the full-page ad on the
show's program that roasted their religion and beliefs. The LDS Church
ad simply said, "Our version is sliiiightly different. The musical is
entertaining. The book? It's life changing." That simple, sincere,
classy reply reinforces everything I have come to know about my Mormon
friends.

It got me thinking: How can I get others to take a moment to reflect and
think about our society and what we collectively condone, and what we
condemn. Through their raucous affirmation, the thousands of people
joining us at the Keller were condoning a clever, entertaining, bawdy
and very graphic roasting of some really nice people. So I thought, what
if we switched things around a bit? What if instead of roasting the
beliefs of a conservative, teetotalling, caffeine-free group of super
nice people, we were watching a play called, "The Koran."

What if the play had a catchy song that instead of repeating "f--- God"
over and over, it said "f--- Mohammed?" Or rather than a song about,
having my own planet in the latter life, it had a song about marrying 72
virgins in paradise? Would the audience reaction be uproarious peals of
laughter? Would there be nine Tony Awards and a Grammy?

I'm not advocating that we censor or ban "The Book of Mormon." But I am
asking, what if Muslims were roasted and belittled as mercilessly as the
Mormons? What if we roasted Buddhists for believing in reincarnation or
Hindus for believing cows are sacred? What would be the reaction of the
audience and the broader Portland community? I dare say, I don't think a
play called, "The Koran," which denigrated Muslims the way the "Book of
Mormon" disparages Mormons, would be embraced with sold out houses,
raucous laughter and thunderous applause.

What would be the reaction of our community? It is important for us to
reflect and consider this simple question. Because I believe we really
cannot claim to be an enlightened, inclusive society until we can
truthfully hold ourselves to the standard that, in both cases, our
reaction would be the same.

-- Allen Alley of Lake Oswego is former chairman of the Oregon
Republican Party and a former candidate for governor of Oregon.

Share your opinion
Submit your essay of 800 words or less on a highly topical issue or a
theme of particular relevance to the Pacific Northwest, Oregon and the
Portland area to ***@oregonian.com. Please include your email and
phone number for verification.
View Comments (271)

http://www.oregonlive.com/opinion/index.ssf/2018/04/we_love_to_laugh_at_the_book_o.html

comments include:
follow
Chris Lightfoot
30 minutes ago
Most Mormons I know have a sense of humor. The same goes for Muslims but
there is a radical part of the Muslim religion that I am sure would
freak out. I'm guessing the FLDS would be just as upset though. So I
guess it's between raping young girls and people being killed.

EvidenceBased
7 hours ago
Unelectable Allen is back folks and he’s got a moral false equivalence
for you that you didn’t ask for. Of course the playwrights have actually
deprived muslims and made fun Islam. Mormons are part of the culture.
They will be caricatured and satirized along with the christians, jews,
hindus, budhists , atheists etc.
They are also not a monolith and probably have a varied reaction to the
play which is as American as it gets.

Danbar99
13 hours ago
Obviously it would not be accepted with how entrenched identity politics
have become in daily American life. Mormons are historically white so
it's fine to make fun of them. Muslims and Buddhists are historically
non-white and therefore immune from criticism.

follow
EvidenceBased
5 hours ago
Reply to @Danbar99: watch the play some day. They make fun of the
ridiculousness of religion, say believe in something, and then the
characters develop their own religion based on one missionary’s poor
understanding of mormonism. The pokes at mormons are pretty gentle.
Uganda didn’t get off so easy.

follow
Ladyfreethought
16 hours ago
"what if Muslims were roasted and belittled as mercilessly as the Mormons"

Oh, you poor Mormons. I noticed the author of this op-ed made no mention
of how Uganda and its culture was presented in this musical.

Mormons are so kind and caring that they spent $20 million of their own
money to prevent same-sex couples from getting married in California.
52% of Muslims-Americans support same-sex marriage and vote for
politicians that support the LGBT community.

Also, how do you think Muslims ... » more

follow
Edwin_Schrodinger_502
21 hours ago
We laugh at the Bible too. Consider "Life of Brian" or the Mel Brooks
movie about the history of the world in which he has hilarious sketches
about Moses and other aspects of the Jewish (and by extension,
Christian) religion. With regard to Hinduism and Buddhism, these are not
so much in the news in the US, so we don't as commonly think about them.
So what's the difference with Islam? Some would say that the main
difference is that Mormons, Jews, and Christians are unlikely to slit
your throat ... » more

follow
James
21 hours ago
Typically most of all that represents religion is so controversial.
Every one has their concept of God. And He is supposed to be ONE. The
Supreme being. But when you scout out religion...ten thousand different
God's are demonstrated by man's fallible mind. All arguing that their
belief's are the Truth. Humility found in people of religion can be
trained into their soul. But that does not offer anything worth while to
prove the Supreme God is in them. Mormon's, Baptist, Pentecostals,
Catholic's, ... » more

follow
John Locke
1 day ago
I doubt that the author knows Islam. for example
Quran (9:29) - "Fight those who believe not in Allah nor the Last Day,
nor hold that forbidden which hath been forbidden by Allah and His
Messenger, nor acknowledge the religion of Truth, (even if they are) of
the People of the Book, until they pay the Jizya with willing
submission, and feel themselves subdued." Islam forbids friendship with
non-Muslims, condones lying, and rejects "innovations" (Bid'ah) such as
democracy. The religion mandates ... » more

follow
Ainjill
1 day ago
All these comments make me laugh at how silly self indulgent, self
important and biased you all are. Such hypocrites and uneducated people
say such things.

follow
Chris Lightfoot
28 minutes ago
Reply to @ainjill: direct quotes from the Quran are self indulgent?
Don't fool yourself

follow
Timmay65
1 day ago
All religions deserve critical roasting. Yes, many Mormons are good
ethical people, it doesn't make their religion any less prone to
peaceful criticism. Scientology, Fake New Age, Islam, Christianity, they
all have been criticized at some point in time, sometimes violently.
Everything should always be questioned by independent people, especially
religion and politics. We should not allow the cults of the world to
brainwash us into believing in a particular magical book. Read, study,
and decide ... » more
1
0

FOLLOW USER

SHARE
SHOW 1 OLDER REPLY

follow
EightBitDad
17 hours ago
Reply to @A. Bundy: Wow aren't you the one to cast the first stone? What
makes you think that you are holy than thou and have any right to judge
other religions? You don't... Get off your high horse... Go take your
cynic attitude elsewhere.
0
0

FOLLOW USER

SHARE

follow
Chris Lightfoot
27 minutes ago
Reply to @EightBitDad: um this is a response to an article about a
specific topic. His attitude is more than welcome. What makes your
opinion any more valid.
0
0

FOLLOW USER

SHARE

follow
Bmbelko
2 days ago
You won't find a similar play, article, song, show, book, or movie about
Islam. Why not? You answer.

follow
Gobjf3
4 days ago
Thank you for acknowledging the mockery and bigotry in our so called
“diverse” city - Portland. Such hypocrites .....
3
0

FOLLOW USER

SHARE
SHOW 1 OLDER REPLY

follow
EightBitDad
17 hours ago
Reply to @A. Bundy: And you share the same last name as a serial killer.
0
0

FOLLOW USER

SHARE

follow
Chris Lightfoot
26 minutes ago
Reply to @EightBitDad: not a very strong point. When you grow as a
person other people's opinions won't hurt as much.
0
0

FOLLOW USER

SHARE

follow
Gobjf3
4 days ago
So so true!
1
0

FOLLOW USER

SHARE

follow
Rebecca
4 days ago
In college we were assigned to read a play with foul language that
disparaged the Mormon religion (a different play from the Book of
Mormon). As a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints
(Momon) I refused to complete the assignment which docked my grade a
full letter. The teacher did not understand my perspective as it was an
award winning play. To this day I am glad I refused, and also wonder if
it was a play bashing Muslim beliefs and I was Muslim, or a Jewish play
and I was ... » more
2
0

FOLLOW USER

SHARE

follow
Paully
4 days ago
As a Mormon, I am happy this is the extent of our recieving of criticism
and fun compared to our history of being persecuted, pulled from homes
in front of children, to be tarred, murdered, and raped. Not to mention
the eviction and theft of property with homes and businesses in Nauvoo
Illinois, which at its time was more populated than Chicago, by the hand
of Governor Boggs. Look up until how recent it was legal to kill a
Mormon in Illinois. US government turned its back on the Mormons pleas
... » more
6
1

FOLLOW USER

SHARE

follow
A. Bundy
updated 1 day ago
Reply to @Paully: That's the LDS Church narrative. The LDS were a huge
threat to democracy, trying to control voting, buying up property, and
the immigrants coming over to join up were causing much poverty and
theft. If you truly studied history, there were treasonous acts by the
Mormon militia, and a fresh US Constitution was having none of it.

You really need to read ALL of history, not just the part you've been
spoon-fed, probably your entire life.

Nobody cares about your "only true ... » more
0
0

FOLLOW USER

SHARE

follow
Larry Gibson
4 days ago
I am a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints and we
have besides the 10 commandments what we call the 13 Articles of Faith.
Number 11 says, We claim the privilege of worshiping Almighty God
according to the dictates of our own conscience, and allow all men the
same privilege, let them worship how, where, or what they may. It is sad
when some people degrade religions or even degrade non-believers.
Myself, I applaud Mr. Alley for his article not because I am a Mormon
but ... » more
3
0

FOLLOW USER

SHARE

follow
A. Bundy
1 day ago
Reply to @Larry Gibson: Joseph Smith married 14 year olds behind his
wifes back...
0
0

FOLLOW USER

SHARE

follow
Nlasmom
5 days ago
It's funny, any other religion would probably cry out, protest in the
streets and act like little babies....and the producers would have to
publicly apologize....
2
0

FOLLOW USER

SHARE

follow
TheChrisDeJong
2 days ago
Reply to @nlasmom: "To learn who rules over you, simply find out who you
are not allowed to criticize" - Voltaire
2
0

FOLLOW USER

SHARE

follow
5891jonathan
5 days ago
Oddly enough, the play was immensely popular in Utah, where it struck a
chord among Mormons. Explain that.
0
1

FOLLOW USER

SHARE
SHOW 1 OLDER REPLY

follow
Paully
4 days ago
Reply to @5891jonathan: It struck accord with Salt Lake City residents.
Salt Lake is densely populated with anti-Mormons that abhors the Mormon
church. I have yet to meet any ACTIVE Mormon that praises this play let
alone attends it.
2
0

FOLLOW USER

SHARE

follow
A. Bundy
1 day ago
Reply to @Paully: Joseph Smith married 14 year olds behind his wifes back...
0
0

FOLLOW USER

SHARE

follow
Ugman
5 days ago
Clearly this article needed to be written by a Democrat to be taken
seriously.

The haters out there proved the authors point. Double standard. You can
say what you want about someone if you don't like there religion.
2
0

FOLLOW USER

SHARE

follow
Chris Lightfoot
20 minutes ago
Reply to @Ugman: please explain why someone's political party has
anything to do with their religious tolerance?
0
0

FOLLOW USER

SHARE

follow
Historian 1441
6 days ago
When you compare the World's major Religions, you find that One of them
commits all of the suicide bombings. The same religion commits over 90%
of the World's "Honor Killings". They commit more Rapes than the rest of
the World combined while they own virtually all of the World's slaves.
And it ain't the Shintos...
1
0

FOLLOW USER

SHARE

follow
Jdmd8910
6 days ago
I am a bit befuddled... is Mr. Alley saying ALL Mormons are perfect, so
a play about Islam would have ALL Muslims up in arms? Pretty broad brush
he's painting with there.

As to tolerance, well that seems (IMO) to be related to then number of
people in the room... As I learned in Mississippi back in the day: The
best way to keep a Baptist from drinking your beer on a fishing trip is
to invite two of them.

And BTW... check out Monty Python's "Life of Brian"... it sort of slams
all Abrahamic ... » more
0
0

FOLLOW USER

SHARE

follow
Allen Alley
5 days ago
Reply to @jdmd8910: I am certainly not saying all Mormons are perfect.
Nor am I making a judgement about Muslims or how they would react. The
question is how would we react? How would the same audience react if the
play was about the Koran not The Book of Mormon? How would our Portland
community react if the play was about Muslims not Mormons?

follow
O'Brien
6 days ago
"what if Muslims were roasted and belittled as mercilessly as the Mormons?"

I dunno. Ask Salman Rushdie.
2
0

FOLLOW USER

SHARE

follow
Caeron
6 days ago
Apparently my comment pointing out Allen Alley is a straight white guy
who apparently missed what mormons have done to others and thr silliness
of all religions isn't respectful.

Which I guess exactly proves the point I was making. You aren't allowed
to say this about other religions like christianity because people like
the Oregonian will shut you up.

I guess respectfulness here is also a straight white man.
0
0

FOLLOW USER

SHARE

follow
Allen Alley
5 days ago
Reply to @caeron: I wrote this to have a dialogue. Not to draw a
conclusion nor to impugn anyone. Thanks for taking the time to participate.
0
0

FOLLOW USER

SHARE

follow
Ultrafido
6 days ago
What would happen? Well, it might end up getting bombed.
Sad fact of the matter is that that is true...especially if the play had
depictions of Muhammad or Allah. Plenty of examples of violence towards
such things, the Charlie Hebdo magazine in France is just one of them.

Sure, Mormons are singled out. It is a free country however, and almost
all parody (and even jokes) offend someone's sensibilities at one lever
or another.
And from what I understand, at least to an extent, the Mormon ... » more
0
0

FOLLOW USER

SHARE

follow
Ja
6 days ago
Didn't crooked hillary tell us that the benghazi attacks were over an
anti-islam video?
1
1

FOLLOW USER

SHARE

follow
Jdmd8910
6 days ago
Reply to @Ja: yeah, that was one of the red herrings being sold at the
time. Your point is what?
1
0

FOLLOW USER

SHARE

follow
Historian 1441
6 days ago
Reply to @Ja: The movie in question had FOUR hits and NONE in the ME yet
the Muslims were so outraged that they attacked an Embassy. The fact
that the Socialcrats thought that that was excusable conduct shows how
evil that the Hitlercrats have become.
0
0

FOLLOW USER

SHARE

follow
Michael Pitts-Campbell
6 days ago
And this article was written by someone too sane and sensible for the
Oregon Republican Party! BTW, Art Robinson is running for Congress again
— can anybody else remember Harold Stassen?
2
0

FOLLOW USER

SHARE

follow
FKASnarky-Os
6 days ago
While all religious dogma is all fairy tale ridiculous to begin with,
Mormonism far outpaces the typical religion crazy train.
1
0

FOLLOW USER

SHARE
SHOW 4 OLDER REPLIES

follow
Paully
4 days ago
Reply to @jdmd8910: Where did you read about these murderings? I am
familiar with one massacre but not aware any others.
0
0

FOLLOW USER

SHARE

follow
A. Bundy
1 day ago
Reply to @jdmd8910: Joseph Smith married 14 year olds behind his wifes
back...
0
0

FOLLOW USER

SHARE

follow
Ironicisntit
6 days ago
There are two concepts unique to Islam among modern world religions:
martyrdom and jihad. So, you see, Islam is not really like every other
religion.
0
2

FOLLOW USER

SHARE
SHOW 1 OLDER REPLY

follow
Jdmd8910
6 days ago
Reply to @ironicisntit: Jim Jones. Branch Davidians. Get the picture?
0
0

FOLLOW USER

SHARE

follow
Historian 1441
6 days ago
Reply to @Cathy: If you go back enough Centuries you can find examples
of current muslim behavior in other Religions but then the other
religions matured and the slavery and mass Rape stopped. The Muslims
have gotten worse in the same time frame. Why do you support Women being
Raped and beaten? No estrogen rights in the ME...
0
0

FOLLOW USER

SHARE

follow
Hiered
updated 6 days ago
I'm Catholic and I'd love a musical comedy about the Church! And I would
hope it would be irreverent. I'd go in a second. What's wrong with
laughing at yourself first? Bring back Late Night Catechism.
1
0

FOLLOW USER

SHARE
SHOW 3 OLDER REPLIES

follow
Paully
4 days ago
Reply to @Hiered: Someone very religious and believes their very own
life is a gift from God would struggle with having that perception you
talk of about their own Church when it was their Church in their eyes
and their personal faith that helped bridge a relationship with God.
Godly things are to be revered and not mocked regardless of religious
affiliation. This is something all Christians and Catholics are taught.
0
0

FOLLOW USER

SHARE

follow
Hiered
4 days ago
Reply to @Paully: Well, have you ever heard a Priest tell an off colored
joke? I have. As human beings, we should respect all religions but also
a lot of people feel it's ok to make fun of customs and quirks in all
religions, as do I.
0
0

FOLLOW USER

SHARE

follow
Johncrow
6 days ago
All types of magical thinking are fair game for satire and derision.
7
0

FOLLOW USER

SHARE

follow
SweetPea
6 days ago
If you don't want Jehovah's or other religions coming to your door just
tell them to take you off the list. They will leave you alone after
that. Worked for me.
1
0

FOLLOW USER

SHARE
SHOW 2 OLDER REPLIES

follow
Cathy
updated 6 days ago
Reply to @PlainsmanX:
Egypt had that problem, too.
1
0

FOLLOW USER

SHARE

follow
Nobigots
6 days ago
Reply to @SweetPea: I had good luck getting rid of them by telling them
I was a Catholic. They almost ran off the porch. I only lived a few
blocks from a Kingdom Hall. They left me alone from that point on.
Siri Cruise
2018-04-26 14:03:59 UTC
Post by a425couple
We love to laugh at 'The Book of Mormon.' What if it was 'The Book of
Koran?': Guest opinion
Mormons are mostly harmless outside of Utah. And nobody else wants to go to Utah.
'I desire mercy, not sacrifice.' /|\
Byker
2018-04-26 17:52:34 UTC
Post by Siri Cruise
Mormons are mostly harmless outside of Utah. And nobody else wants to go to Utah.
The last time I took a road trip through Utah (1998) I noticed a few things
about the motel:

-- The coffee in the lobby is decaf

-- The pop in soda machines is also caffeine-free

-- There are no ashtrays in the rooms

-- And instead of the Gideons' Bible in the drawer,
there is the Book of Mormon...
None of the Above
2018-04-27 06:12:22 UTC
Post by Siri Cruise
Post by a425couple
We love to laugh at 'The Book of Mormon.' What if it was 'The Book of
Koran?': Guest opinion
Mormons won't blow up your family.
More accurately, nobody wants you to go to Utah.
Siri Cruise
2018-04-27 08:27:48 UTC
Post by None of the Above
Post by a425couple
We love to laugh at 'The Book of Mormon.' What if it was 'The Book of
Koran?': Guest opinion
Mormons won't blow up your family.
Some will kidnap and rape girls.
'I desire mercy, not sacrifice.' /|\
None of the Above
And some liberal black lesbians drive cars full of kids off cliffs.
Byker
2018-04-28 18:03:53 UTC
Whitest black lesbians I ever saw: https://tinyurl.com/ybegcf2t

https://www.lgbtqnation.com/2018/04/lesbian-moms-likely-killed-6-kids-driving-car-off-cliff/
None of the Above
2018-04-29 07:54:42 UTC
Post by Byker
Post by None of the Above
And some liberal black lesbians drive cars full of kids off cliffs.
Whitest black lesbians I ever saw: https://tinyurl.com/ybegcf2t
https://www.lgbtqnation.com/2018/04/lesbian-moms-likely-killed-6-kids-driving-car-off-cliff/
Oops.

"And some liberal lesbians drive cars full of black kids off cliffs."

Oldheimers, dontchaknow...
Siri Cruise
2018-04-29 14:54:31 UTC
Post by None of the Above
Post by Byker
Post by None of the Above
And some liberal black lesbians drive cars full of kids off cliffs.
Whitest black lesbians I ever saw: https://tinyurl.com/ybegcf2t
https://www.lgbtqnation.com/2018/04/lesbian-moms-likely-killed-6-kids-driving
-car-off-cliff/
Oops.
"And some liberal lesbians drive cars full of black kids off cliffs."
Oldheimers, dontchaknow...
Racist twit, I do know.
'I desire mercy, not sacrifice.' /|\
None of the Above
2018-04-30 07:04:37 UTC
Post by Siri Cruise
Racist twit, I do know.
Siri recognizes herself in the mirror...
Siri Cruise
2018-04-30 09:20:37 UTC
Post by None of the Above
Post by Siri Cruise
Racist twit, I do know.
Siri recognizes herself in the mirror...
IKYABWAI?
'I desire mercy, not sacrifice.' /|\
Al Czervik
2018-04-29 17:27:17 UTC
Post by None of the Above
Post by Siri Cruise
Post by None of the Above
Post by a425couple
We love to laugh at 'The Book of Mormon.' What if it was 'The Book of
Koran?': Guest opinion
Mormons won't blow up your family.
Some will kidnap and rape girls.
And some liberal black lesbians drive cars full of kids off cliffs.
The moms were white. The kids were black. This is a very sad, but
perfect, analogy of today's liberals.

---
http://www.avg.com
Al Czervik
2018-04-29 17:20:40 UTC
Post by Siri Cruise
Post by a425couple
We love to laugh at 'The Book of Mormon.' What if it was 'The Book of
Koran?': Guest opinion
Mormons are mostly harmless outside of Utah. And nobody else wants to go to Utah.
Except those who enjoy the outdoors... National Parks, skiing, etc.
Thankfully that excludes you who's presence would make that natural
beauty look like a 800 pound glutton at a buffet.

---
http://www.avg.com
Byker
2018-04-29 22:53:53 UTC
Post by Siri Cruise
Post by a425couple
We love to laugh at 'The Book of Mormon.' What if it was 'The Book of
Koran?': Guest opinion
Mormons are mostly harmless outside of Utah.
Until when they come to your door and you suggest that Joseph Smith was to
the 19th Century what L. Ron. Hubbard was to the 20th...
Byker
2018-04-26 17:50:10 UTC
Post by a425couple
We love to laugh at 'The Book of Mormon.' What if it was 'The Book of
Koran?': Guest opinion
Updated Apr 19; Posted Apr 18
http://www.oregonlive.com/opinion/index.ssf/2018/04/we_love_to_laugh_at_the_book_o.html
As least Mormons can take a joke...
"The Book of Mormon" comes to Salt Lake City. But where are the suicide
bombers?

Lloyd Billingsley

The Book of Mormon, an award-winning musical by the creators of “South
Park,” has opened in Salt Lake City. As ABC news put it, “The biting
satirical musical that mocks Mormons received a rousing reception Tuesday in
its first-ever showing in the heart of Mormonlandia, kicking off a sold-out,
two-week run at a Salt Lake City theater.”

So as in New York and Los Angeles, The Book of Mormon is a smash hit,
contrary to what some expected.

“Despite the jokes and jabs that create a caricature of Mormon beliefs,” ABC
news explains, “there were no protests outside and no mass walkouts during
opening night. The playbill did include three advertisements from the Mormon
church, including a picture of a smiling man with the words, “You’ve seen
the play, now read the book.”

In similar style, during the Los Angeles run, the Church of Jesus Christ of
Latter Day Saints, released a statement: “The production may attempt to
entertain audiences for an evening, but the Book of Mormon as a volume of
scripture will change people’s lives forever by bringing them closer to
Christ.” http://tinyurl.com/pqbd3yq

Clearly, the Mormons, whose six million American members include 2012
Republican presidential candidate Mitt Romney, can take a joke at their own
expense. This marks a stark contrast to Muslims and Islam, by some accounts
the fastest growing religion in America. When it comes to satire of their
religion, Muslims respond in a rather different way. Consider, for example,
what happened in January at the offices of the French satirical magazine
Charlie Hebdo, which published caricatures of the prophet Mohammed.

As the BBC noted, two masked gunmen dressed in black and armed with
Kalashnikov assault rifles got out and approached the offices. They shot
dead caretaker Frederic Boisseau, bodyguard Franck Brinsolaro, editor
Stephane Charbonnier and four other cartoonists, plus three members of the
editorial staff and a guest at the meeting. Witnesses said they had heard
the gunmen shouting “We have avenged the Prophet Muhammad” and “God is
Great” in Arabic while calling out the names of the journalists.” The two
Muslims also killed a French policeman. “One of the attackers then walked up
to the injured officer on the pavement and shot him dead at close range.”
http://tinyurl.com/kr45thw

This carnage was all over a few cartoons, but films on Islam draw a similar
response. In 2004, as the New York Times reported, “Theo van Gogh, a Dutch
filmmaker and writer who had recently made a television film critical of
Islam, was shot and stabbed to death on an Amsterdam street on Tuesday.”
http://tinyurl.com/c2m4cu5

The attacker, a Muslim, left a note with passages from the Quran.

In his 1983 novel The Marrakesh One-Two, Richard Grenier noted the
difficulties of making a movie about Mohammed, too holy to be shown or even
to speak. Grenier’s model was The Message (1977) by Moustapha Akkad,
starring Anthony Quinn and subtitled The Story of Islam. Akkad, a Syrian who
had worked with Sam Peckinpah, suggested the presence of Mohammed with a
shadow. Orthodox Muslims denounced the film and the Nation of Islam took
hostages. In 2005 in Jordan, a terrorist bomb claimed the life of Moustapha
Akkad: http://tinyurl.com/ox2xobc

Producers were not eager to buy the film rights to Salman Rushdie’s novel
The Satanic Verses, which drew a fatwa from Iran’s Ayatollah Khomeini.
Rushdie managed to escape the death sentence but as Vanity Fair recalled,
“bombs exploded in bookshops in the U.S. and the U.K.; the book’s Japanese
translator was shot and killed, its Italian translator was stabbed, its
Turkish translator was attacked, its Norwegian publisher was shot, and two
clerics in Saudi Arabia and Tunisia who spoke out against the fatwa were
shot and killed.” In total, “more than 60 people died in the controversy.”
http://tinyurl.com/nhfeybo

Meanwhile, there is no Islamic equivalent to the rock opera Jesus Christ
Superstar, by Andrew Lloyd Webber and Tim Rice, which also became a movie.
There is no Muslim equivalent to Mel Brooks’ History of the World in which
Moses manages to drop five of the original 15 commandments. Charlton Heston,
who played Moses in The Ten Commandments, said he had heard every Moses
joke. As David Steinberg had it, God urges Moses to take off his shoes and
approach. Moses burns his feet and God gleefully shouts “Aha! Third one
today!”

Comics, novelists, filmmakers and dramatists can satirize Judaism and
Christianity, in all their variations, in complete safety and with great
financial reward. As the record shows, those who try that with Islam may
wind up dead. So while The Book of Mormon sells out in Salt Lake City, a
musical comedy on Islam won’t be opening any time soon. Scholars of
comparative religion, along with the rest of the nation, might note the
contrast: http://tinyurl.com/op6mgkg
Bill Shatzer
2018-04-26 19:11:39 UTC
Post by a425couple
I have known and worked with many Mormons. They are some of the most
kind, caring, honest and community-minded people
Well, not all of them

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mormon_abuse_cases

peace and justice
Byker
At least they stick to their own kind...
None of the Above
2018-04-27 06:22:35 UTC
Post by Bill Shatzer
Post by a425couple
I have known and worked with many Mormons. They are some of the most
kind, caring, honest and community-minded people
Well, not all of them
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mormon_abuse_cases
Bill Shatzer scrawls Mohammed's phone number on bathroom stalls.